Sunday, January 06, 2008

VDUB Central Rocks...Again!

Anybody remember my first post about this place, long ago? Well, it was a positive one and my return visit has been another pleasant encounter. Saturday was my one day off for the entire week, and after loading presents into my trunk, running back into the house for my forgotten sunglasses, and hopping into the car to take off to WR for a belated gift exchange and coffee date with Kelly, I was immediately stopped in my tracks with a car that refused to budge out of "Park". It cranked fine but - Nope, no reverse, no drive, no neutral, and no Starbucks with a friend for me. The battery light was even glowing in angry red...yay, always a good sign, right? So I dragged my poor, sick hubby outside to try the jumper cables, still nothing worked. After calling my dad who was going to be away from his phone for another couple of hours and J searched the web a bit for possible explanations or quick fixes, he had the great idea to go ahead and call VDUB to set up an appointment, since we'd need to have one whether we had to tow the car there or not - and luckily for me, he said bring it right in, told me how to get the car out of park, and was able to squeeze in an oil change, as well. The faulty brake light switch has been replaced, and free of charge due to a recent VW-wide recall. Sweet! Thanks, VDUB :-)

And for my own future reference, and maybe to help some other soul out too:
When stuck forever in Park:
Turn ignition on until lights appear on dash, then turn key back to left until lights go out.
Put vehicle in Drive or Reverse, whatever direction is needed.
With the left hand turn key all way to start position, and barely sneak shift toward Neutral with right hand - before locking into neutral, engine will crank, then bring back to drive and be off on your way....to the mechanic.

No comments: