Wednesday, September 03, 2008

Kumbaya

To begin on a lighter note, we are nearing my season again :-) I got an email today from Pier One advertising it's self-proclaimed Awesome Autumn deals. Sweet! While I am melancholy about bidding farewell to summer, fall is a fun time.

Now...the real issue on my mind. I am truly sick of election coverage...it's so sad that it causes such deep divides between people who don't vote the same way, even people who are related. For instance, it's especially sad that my own brother-in-law can only respond to things he finds negative, and somehow overlook all the positives that a person, a mind, or even a blog has to offer. It's sad that people will avoid each other for months on end just because they can't agree to disagree. It's sad that each side wants to shout unity, but apparently there is nothing further from unity than an election. Everyone gets their own opinion, and everyone is allowed to display those outlooks, but they have to do it in a caring manner...why try to hurt another person, or take everything as a personal attack?

Granted, I am relatively new at this thing - in fact, this is only my second election being eligible to vote. Was it always this way? I shudder to think...it's sad that we keep falling into this trap, this little hamster wheel of thinking someone is lesser if they do not agree with our point of view. The angriest of those viewpoint holders seem to be the ones who think they aren't doing the name calling...or the damage. Once again, it's sad. Why can't we all just get along?

P.S. Currently watching the RNC so I can get an idea of "both sides". Not getting into it, but I will say this from an entirely pro-environment point of view: Clean coal? Seriously? Hello, oxymoron!

8 comments:

GRLucas said...

Yeah, it is sad. And, yeah, I think it's probably always been that way.

But you didn't mention anything about your riding 20.2 miles on your bike tonight! You rock.

Unknown said...

I think it was 20.9 miles!!! Let's not leave out even one millimeter :-)

It was AWESOME. A post coming soon, for sure!
xo

Tim and Tab said...

Ok Autumn! You've gotten me involved now. What's wrong with people having a difference of opinion? Jerry and Tim have always disagreed on politics and religion. As a matter of fact, Jerry's political and religious views have always differed from everyone in our family! Tim is not a negative person, just defending his positions. So sad that you see it as negativity! Caring manner? Come on A. It's called passion for a position. And avoiding each other for months on end? Was that directed towards Tim? I certainly hope not because that's an entirely different response from me that would enlighten you both on a degree of responsibility the two of you would not understand. You posting your "disappointment" in Tim is uncalled for. Enough! Funny how you didn't mention Jerry's bantering in your blog! Let's call Tim out instead. That's fair. Is that being caring?

Autumn said...

Maybe if you read the post more closely, you'd see that there's nothing wrong with people having a difference of opinion. This blog is full of positive topics for commentary, so once again, why only comment on something you don't like?

You missed the point entirely. Do you even know what kumbaya means?

Tim and Tab said...

You honestly would find no offense in this statement if I said it about Jerry? "For instance, it's especially sad that my own brother-in-law can only respond to things he finds negative, and somehow overlook all the positives that a person, a mind, or even a blog has to offer." I think you would. I read it closely enough to find negative connotations from you and certainly didn't "miss anything". I'm done discussing this because a continued discussion is pointless. We'll agree to disagree before damage is done and feelings get hurt. BTW, no need to try to insult my intelligence by asking if I know what kumbaya means.

GRLucas said...

"Tim and Tab," you only seem to respond or comment when you read something you don't like. Why?

Tim and Tab said...

I thought Tim was being personally attacked and felt it my duty as his wife to defend him. You guys act like that's wrong and I should just by-pass all of the negativity I read in a blog and focus on the things I agree with. Maybe that's the problem with blogs, e-mails, etc. The emotion of the writer has a tendency to be interpreted from the reader in a different tone. I shouldn't have to justify my opinions to you. You want some positivity? OK, here ya go: Congrats on your long bike rides, impressive. Better? Enough optimism?

Autumn said...

And, there we have it.

Immature retorts, lack of reasoning, and sarcasm. Or "passion for a position" as some prefer to call it.

I will provide no further commentary on this entry due to the stifling cycle of negativity, which I choose not to be involved in.