Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Election Day

J and I have talked about this before, but I was thinking more today that it seems very odd that Election Day is not a holiday. It is unfair to those who are not able to get off work to vote. Granted, there is the option of early voting, but it also takes place on weekdays during normal voting hours. For example, dayshift nurses work 7a-7p, which leaves zero time before or after work to go to their polling places. I vote Election Day as a paid holiday...or maybe only paid if you show proof of voting? Or perhaps early voting could be open the weekend before Election Day? Either way, it seems extremely odd that Tuesday was chosen as the big day. Nonetheless, there is nothing we can do about it this year. And today is Tuesday, the big day, so get out and vote! :-)

P.S. Check out these awesome perks of voting - kudos to the companies supporting voters!

1 comment:

Amanda said...

So, I have also wondered why we vote on a Tuesday. The best solution I can come up with is one steeped in tradition and unfortunately, racism and social status. When it was first decided when we would vote, I believe a tuesday was chosen to allow the educated to vote (those who would be able to leave work for any period) and leave the uneducated at work (as many hourly employees cannot take time off work). I did a little research on it at one point, but nothing significant, but this was the best that I could figure out.